Website YMCA of Wichita Falls
YMCA OF WICHITA FALLS JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Summer Day Camp Counselor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt Summer Seasonal
Reports to: Youth Development Director
Primary Function/Department: Youth Development
Leadership Level: Leader
This Summer Seasonal position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Day Camp Counselor at YMCA of Wichita Falls maintains a supportive, positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals, promotes the potential of all youth, and provides a quality experience to both youth and their families.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Supervises a group of children and program activities.
2. Follows all policies, procedures, and standards as established by the law or the Y (e.g., safety or emergency procedures, behavior guidance strategies, child abuse prevention policies); makes ADA accommodations where appropriate; maintains the program site, equipment, and required program records.
3. Nurtures children through purposeful programming; plans and/or leads activities that are intended to achieve program goals and outcomes, are culturally relevant, are developmentally appropriate, and are consistent with the Y’s values.
4. Creates a positive rapport and shared interest with all youth; models relationship-building skills in all interactions.
5. Provides opportunities for youth to lead, problem-solve, and make decisions and choices within the program and provides daily opportunities for youth to reflect on and respond to their experiences.
6. Provides and welcomes ongoing dialogue with parents and caregivers about their child’s needs and progress; connects families to the Y.
7. Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
· Communication & Influence
· Developing Self & Others
· Program/Project Management
· Must be 18 years of age
· High school diploma or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
· CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications required.
· Child Abuse Prevention training required within 30 days of hire.
· Previous experience working with children in a camp setting preferred.
· Previous experience in one or more of the following areas preferred: outdoor living, camping, songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, or recreational games.
· Previous experience working with diverse populations.
· Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
· Commitment to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to plan, lead, and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings.
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.